- City Government
- Boards & Commissions
- Planning Commission & Board of Zoning Appeals
Planning Commission & Board of Zoning Appeals
- 7 p.m.
- 2nd Thursday of Every Month
- Girl Scout Building
121 W 11th St
Liberal, KS 67901
The Metropolitan Area Planning Commission and Board of Zoning Appeals are comprised of a 7-member board 5 City and 2 County (county board members must live within a 3 mile radius of the City). Appointed by the Mayor with approval of the city governing body.
- Steve Merz - Chairman (City)
- Nick Schwindt - Vice Chairman (City)
- Monalicia Arredondo (County)
- Ernesto Goitia Jr (City)
- Jeff Hall (City)
- Jairo Vazquez (City) *
- Vacancy (County Seat) *
- Keith Bridenstine - City Zoning Administrator
- Arlene Rosales - Secretary
NOTICE OF VACANCY
The public is hereby notified that The Liberal Metropolitan Area Planning Commission/The Board of Zoning Appeals is currently seeking applications for volunteer position which is open to any resident who resides outside of the city limits but within the 3 (three) mile extraterritorial area of Liberal.
Anyone seeking additional information, a map to the extraterritorial area or to pick up an application, please contact the City of Liberal Zoning Administrator at City Hall, 324 North Kansas Avenue during normal business hours; 7:30 AM – 5:30 PM Monday through Thursday and 7:30 AM – 11:30 AM on Friday or call (620) 626-2261
The Planning Commission and Board of Zoning Appeals are charged with the responsibility of guiding and accomplishing a coordinated and harmonious development of the city.
The goals and objectives of the Planning Commission and Board of Zoning Appeals are as follows:
- Assure that all land regulated by the Comprehensive Land Use Plan is used effectively and economically and in the best interest of the public.
- Designate the general location of land projected for use as agricultural, residential, business, industry, recreation, education, public buildings, and other community facilities, both private and public, and other uses that may be deemed necessary.
- Assure that the Comprehensive Zoning Ordinances properly regulates and restricts the use of the land and location of buildings and structures, the height and bulk of buildings and structures, and the required area of yards.
- Review and recommend to the governing body all requests for amendments or changes to the zoning ordinance, zoning map, flood insurance rate map, or plat and re-plat of land within the city.