License Exemptions

The following activities or organizations do not require a City of Liberal Business License:

Casual or Isolated Sales

Casual or isolated sales made by persons who are not engaged in the on-going business of selling the type of property involved, or the provision of isolated services made by persons, to include but not be limited to minors, who are not in the on-going business of providing said services.

Producers or Growers

No producer or grower, or his or her agents or employees, selling in the City either farm or garden products or fruits grown by him or her in the State of Kansas shall be required to pay any business license fee imposed by the City.

Government Agency Functions

Any instrumentality of the United States, State of Kansas, Seward County, or any political subdivision thereof, with respect to the exercise of governmental functions.

Nonprofit Organizations

Nonprofit organizations include but are not limited to: 

  • Benevolent
  • Civic
  • Charitable
  • Cultural
  • Nonprofit
  • Religious
  • Youth

The exemption of a Business License by the City does not constitute approval of a nonprofit organizations use of any particular parcel in the City or a nonprofit organizations purpose. All nonprofit organizations shall be required to obtain a Certificate of Occupancy to protect public health, safety, and welfare of the community.

Scientific, Literary or Educational Entertainments

All scientific or literary or educational lectures and entertainments, or concerts or musicals or other entertainments exclusively given or sponsored by residents or established organizations of the City.

Contact Us

  1. Alicia Hidalgo
    City Clerk


    324 N Kansas Avenue
    Liberal, KS 67901

    Mailing Address
    P.O. Box 2199
    Liberal, KS 67905

    Phone: 620-626-2206

    Office Hours:
    Monday - Thursday
    7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
    7:30 - 11:30 a.m.
    (Excluding Holidays)