Liberal, KS


Where is City Hall?

City Hall is located at 324 N Kansas Avenue.

How do I contact City staff?

City Staff phone numbers are listed in the Staff Directory:

online staff directory.

How can I schedule an inspection?

You may schedule an inspection by contacting our Building and Zoning Department by stopping City Hall or by at 620-626-2261.

How and where do I pay my water bill?

Payment Options:

You can pay your current water, sewer and trash bill several different ways:

In Person at the Utility counter at City Hall:

  • Cash
  • Check
  • Money Order

Night Drop Box on the west side of the building:

  • Check
  • Money Order

Via US Mail:

  • Check
  • Money Order

How do I establish water service?

Starting Service

In order to start service, please bring two (2) forms of identification, one (1) of which must be a picture I.D. Examples are: 

  • Kansas ID
  • Social security card
  • Student ID
  • Valid driver's license
  • Work ID

If you are renting property, a rental contract is required along with two (2) forms of identification.

Initial Setup Service Fees

A $20 non-refundable/non-transferable connection fee payment is required to establish services. Services can be established Monday-Thursday from 7:30 am to 5:00 pm and Friday from 7:30 to 11:00 am.

Where can I get a copy of a City Commission Agenda?

Upcoming and past agendas, including full packets, can be downloaded from the Agenda Center:

Where can I adopt a pet?

Dogs and cats are available to rescue at Liberal Animal Shelter, located at 1985 N Country Estates Rd.  Photos of the animals are frequently submitted to their Facebook page:


Monday - Wednesday
11:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
1:00 - 5:00 p.m.
Friday - Sunday
11:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Does Liberal have a leash law?

The leash law is a provision in the code of the City of Liberal that prohibits certain domestic animals from roaming free.  Liberal City Code states that "It shall be unlawful for any person owning, harboring, or having the custody or possession of any dog to cause or allow such animal to run at large within the city.  If any dog is found at large withing the city, the owner shall be presumed to have violated this article. " Chapter 2 of city code also defines " at large" as "To be outside of a fence or other enclosure which restrains the animals to particular premises or not under the control, by leash or lead, of the owner or other authorized person capable of restraining the animal.  Animals tethered to a stationary object within range of pyblic thoroughfares are deemed to be "At Large."

What that means is that all dogs must be confined by either a leash, rope, chain, fenced area, or inside a dwelling 24 hours a day and not allowed to roam free.